Saturday, January 23, 2010

Week 2 (Post #1) – Effective Communication Skills and How they are Important to Me

In essence, I understand this course to be one that trains an individual to convey his message to his audience in the best way possible. This is done by teaching one the principles behind communication itself. The skills learned during this training process are then applied to appropriate situations – attending interviews, oral presentations etc.

The course clears the common misconception that communication is only verbal. In fact, communication involves both verbal and non-verbal aspects, with the non-verbal aspect playing a very huge role in the success of communication. The course also explores the factors that affect how well a message is conveyed to the intended audience. From facial expressions to tone to the attitude of the audience, there is a wide array of factors that affect the success of any form of communication be it in the form of interviews or written work.

For me, communication is an integral part of everyday life. From expressing my wants to writing examinations – in almost every activity, there is a certain form of communication involved. If I couldn’t express myself properly, I wouldn’t be able to fulfill my needs or obtain decent grades in certain examinations, especially those where the manner in which the marker perceives one’s answers is essential. When it comes to doing group projects, communication is extremely important because without it, it would be impossible to collaborate and collate each individual’s work and produce good product. Finally, communication also comes into play in my social life while interacting with friends and family.

I hope this course will enable me to improve my communication skills and apply them appropriately, especially in the working field.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mufeedha,

    You rightly pointed out the applications of effective communications in life! I like the part you said about communicating our ideas to the marker of our examination scripts.

    When I was in secondary school, I would just memorise and vomit out whatever I had memorised during exams. In the end, I only get mediocre grades. It was only when I was in uni when one of my prof taught me to guess the rubric of my grader before attempting the questions.

    I think it worked great when we begin to put ourselves in the shoes of our receiver (in this case, that grader) and then throwing him whatever answer he wants. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mufeedha, for this first post.

    I like the way you sum up the module, relating the skills (covered) to the assessments throughout the semester - very sharp indeed! I am glad you discussed the common thread sewing the various components together, making sense of it all in its entirety. Good job!

    I look forward to reading more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete